Saturday, September 2, 2006

SURPRISE!

So I've been waiting for my friend Kelly to get the baby gifts I made her she got them yesterday! If you go over to Kelly's blog you can see pix of her holding up the presents. Go a head and then leave her a comment about how cute she looks 9 months pregnant! She's due sept 21st or so.
After Kelly told me that she was having a girl I got to work. I made her a few things First thing I made her a baby sweater from the book Weekend Knitting. I know she admired the pattern, I did change it though b/c I wanted the stripes and the garter stitch to be the same as the body of the sweater so the arms I knitted differently. I used Bernat's new self striping baby yarn. I forget it's name but you'll find it at walmart or Michaels. Here's a pix of it hanging out to dry a week ago. If you'd look outside now it's raining. Then I made her this diaper bag. I figured the bigger the better with 4 kids she needs more room for stuff. LOL I made a gathered elastic pocket for water bottles, drink cups etc. And also at the top of the bag is a little pocket for Keys it's easier than hunting around for them in the bottom of the diaper bag. There's also another small pocket on the other side of the bag for whatever she wishes to put in there. I took a pix of inside the bag, you can see there is also a big pocket for separating things.

like clothes and diapers from what ever else you have in there. There's also near the top of the side a slim pocket for a cell phone (yes I tried to think of everything) I hope that she can use it. I used some iron on interfacing for stability and denim for the outside. It's pretty fabric inside but also manly enough for if her DH has to tote it around and after the kids are older if they wanna just use the bag for whatever. I also made a bonnet. I got the pattern from my sister's book that I forget it's name. I'm really bad with that type of thing. If you told me your name I'd probably forgot it also. Anyways here's a pix of the back of the bonnet which is why I wanted to make it in the first place. sooo elegant and beautiful. Don't even ask what yarn I used b/c yup I forgot. I also whipped up a baby blanket. Which is weird b/c I know that when you have a baby the most things you get is blankets so I try to stay away from that. But Before Kelly found out she was progress she and her DH had a garage sale SELLING everything baby. So I thought it would be safe to make her a blanket. It's just a granny square that I kept going bigger and bigger. And then changed the pattern to a cluster type thingy. It turned out rather cute. The perfect size for laying the baby on the floor for tummy time, or wrapping her up in it. Now call me crazy but for some reason I thought that wasn't enough and that the bonnet and the sweater needed something else so I whipped up a few booties for them. I was worried that Kelly and her DH would get the present and say now why didn't she just buy from the registry? So I wanted to make it all perfect...

Anyways you can see them on Kelly's blog since blogger won't let me upload any more pix. I've written too much combined with the pix I did get uploaded on here... well ya know.

6 comments:

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Everything looks great! I'm sure your friend and her hubby will love and appreciate all that you've made for their wee one. I'll go check out her blog now as well.

Knitty Gritty Thoughts said...

It all looks so pretty, I believe the bonnet is from Erika Knight's book, I've been eyeing that one as a project for a long time. What a sweet friend you are!

Xia Diaz said...

Everything you made is beautiful! What counts the most is that you made it from your heart! Keep it up!

Pamela Foreman said...

Everything looks GREAT!!! Everything you make is great! Good job and I know that Kelly likes it all!

Kelly said...

Everything is PERFECT! I have been begging Allena for her booties since I found out I was preggers. I love it all!!!!

Thank you my dear sweet friend! Love you

Catherine Kerth said...

ooooo, very cute! all of it looks perfect... and kelly looks so happy holding it all up!