Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dying with Wiltons.

I'm trying this delayed posting option since I have some time to type right now. we'll see how it works....
Last week, I was approved to test a sweater vest. I'm super excited. Luckily I'd just recently "found" some undyed wool yarn. (when I say found I mean I updated my stash on ravelry) I decided to dye 5 skeins for the sweater vest I'm testing,black dye and I had a pot of spiderman black so I thought it was worth a try.
So while I was getting the pot and the dye ready I let the yarn take a bath with a few glurgs of vinegar. taking a bath I mixed a good scoop of the black dye in the water and vinegar. I dipped the yarn in the water and it didn't look like it was going to be dark enough. I was going for black of course, it will match my button up shirts really well. So I pulled it out and mixed in some more of the wcd. then I let the yarn soak and simmer in the pot for about a half an hour. After I turned the heat off I let it set for another half an hour so it was cooler to touch. after pouring out the water and rinsing it the yarn looked wonderful.straight from the pot almost a dark grey smoke color. As it started drying it started to get lighter and lighter. now it's a greyish purpley color. which I like but won't match my shirts. It looks really cool I think. I'm knitting with it now, and when I'm done if I decide I need to have it be black I'll just try dying it again.5 skeins but to tell you the truth I'm loving how it's knitting up.

1 comment:

Julie said...

That turned out so well! I love it.